January 19, 2011

All by myself!

Tonight at bed time my 4 year old asks for a story. Not uncommon in our home. It is a nightly ritual in fact.  His book of choice tonight, "All by myself" by Mercer Mayer. We love the "Little Critter" series of books.  One of my children's favorite things about the "Little Critter" stories is to find the the mouse or frog peeking out on each page. He giggles over the mouse sleeping in the shoe.  We finish the story.  I kiss him good night and head to the next cozy reading spot. My 8 year old is up next.  She chose a 3D dinosaur book. Full of fun facts and jump out at you illustrations.  We finish quickly.  Hugs, kisses, and good night. Next my 6 year old. Her choice this evening is "Kites" by Bettina Ling. She is very patiently, not, waiting for me on the foot of her bed. I go in, sit next to her and open the book. I begin to read. She stops me and says, "All by myself mom, I can read it myself."  She then begins to READ to me the story of the colorful kites. With each point of my finger she correctly tells me the word and reads to me "Red Kite Flies". Next an orange kite. She pauses. Does the kite "Fly" or flutter like a butterfly? We stop and talk about the difference. She signs butterfly and flies the butterfly around. But the kite that is shaped like a butterfly "flies". I am so excited! I try to calm myself. I don't want to distract her as she reads her first book to me.  We get to the end. She stumbles with a word. I try to help. "No mom, myself." She finishes the story. High five and ILY kiss to the forehead!! She is AWESOME!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm surprised. I know you were worried that she wouldn't be able to read. What a wonderful evening it must have been last night. She's lucky to have you as her mom!

    ReplyDelete